Skip to main content

Good News! Interstate 485 widening in South Meck to start in 2012

After years of delays, funding shortfalls, and contractor disputes, Charlotte commuters have received more good news when it comes to Interstate 485. 

The much needed widening of six miles of highway in the Pineville/Ballantyne area in Southern Mecklenburg County will begin in June 2012 vs. the planned start date of October 2013.  The widening will increase I-485 from four to six lanes from Interstate 77 (Exit 67) east to Johnston Road (Exit 61).

The project has an estimated cost o $77 million.  It will add a new travel lane in each direction - these lanes will be built within the median.  In addition, improvements to the Johnston Road interchange will be part of the project.  A flyover ramp will be constructed connecting Northbound traffic to the "Inner" Westbound lanes of Interstate 485.  The project should be completed by the fall of 2015.

Story Links:
Relief in sight for drivers on I-485 near Pineville ---WSOC-TV

Comments

Anonymous said…
All it does is push the traffic jam out to Johnston Rd. Let us know when they are serious (meaning: when they expand the southern 2-lane portion to 3-lanes). Whenever these DOT people create X lanes into X-1 lanes, they only really create right lane homos.

Popular posts from this blog

The story behind the ghost ramps around Pittsburgh International Airport

The roads around Pittsburgh International Airport have a lot of history and intrigue.  The growth of the airport and resulting land acquisitions has changed the routing of many roads in Western Allegheny County.  As the airport grew and traffic around the airport increased, the need for new roads would also change the landscape.  Of course, the fact that this is Pittsburgh means there were also plans for highways that never came to be.  Two of these never built highway plans, the Beaver Valley Expressway (BVE) extension and the full-speed connection to the Southern Expressway at Flaugherty Run Road have traces - specifically ghost ramps - of highways that never came to be.

Beaver Valley Expressway Extension:

For close to three decades this unused piece of roadway along the southern end of Beaver Valley Expressway puzzled Pittsburgh area travelers.  Located near the current-day maintenance hangers for Pittsburgh International Airport, this concrete stub of a highway was supposed to be …

Quemahoning Tunnel

The Quemahoning Tunnel may have never been built by the Pennsylvanina Turnpike Commission, but it still has a history unto itself.  Originally planned to carry rail along the South Penn Railway, the tunnel never would not see any trains until 1909 when a small line named the Pittsburgh, Westmoreland & Somerset began utilizing it.  The use was brief and by the end of 1916 the PW&S was no longer in operation and abandoned the facility.  Twenty-some years later, the newly formed Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission considered using the abandoned tunnel, in fact it was shown on some original plans.  However, the PTC decided against using it, and the tunnel remained empty.

The eastern portal of the Quemahoning Tunnel is easily accessible from the PA Turnpike.  The portal is located at mile 106.3 along the westbound roadway.  The tunnel is one of the many "What Could Have Been's?" of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  Below, Bill Symons shares photos taken in late Fall of 1986 of …

Former Greater Pittsburgh International Airport Terminal

For just over four decades, the former main terminal of Greater Pittsburgh International Airport was the city's gateway to the world.  Located nearly 20 miles west of Downtown Pittsburgh, the Joseph Hoover designed terminal would see millions of travelers pass through its doors.  Known best for the terrazzo compass in the main lobby, the terminal had many other distinguishing features.  The well landscaped entrance that led up to the curved stepped design of the terminal. Each level of the terminal would extend out further than the other allowing for numerous observation decks.  The most popular observation deck, the "Horizon Room", was located on the fourth floor.


From when it opened in the Summer of 1952 until its closing on September 30, 1992, the terminal would grow from a small regional airport to the main hub for USAir.  The terminal would see numerous expansions and renovations over its 40 years of service.  Expansions in 1959, 1972, and 1980 increased the capac…