Skip to main content

The National Road - West Virginia

Although it only winds through West Virginia's Northern Panhandle for less than 20 miles, there is a lot of history on US 40 hidden from the hustling traffic on nearby Interstate 70.

West Virginia Historical Market for The National Road (Mike Austing)
Heimberger House, which is located at Roney's Point, is the home of one of the oldest stone buildings used for commerce along the pike.  It is known today as the 'Old Stone House.'
The Old Stone House (Barb and John Bee)
Elm Grove and Wheeling Park, both near the city of Wheeling, have many various items of the National Road and National Old Trails Road history present.  At the intersection of US 40 and WV 88 over Wheeling Creek, a historical marker signifies the historical features of the bridge that crosses it.
(Barb and John Bee)
Further down the highway in Wheeling Park is the location of one of the twelve 'Madonna of the Trail' monuments located in the United States.  These statues were erected in the late 1920's as a tribute to spirit of the pioneer woman, by the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.  The statues were designed by sculptor August Leimbach.

Madonna of the Trail Statue in Wheeling Park (Barb and John Bee)
Site Navigation:


Sources & Links:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The story behind the ghost ramps around Pittsburgh International Airport

The roads around Pittsburgh International Airport have a lot of history and intrigue.  The growth of the airport and resulting land acquisitions has changed the routing of many roads in Western Allegheny County.  As the airport grew and traffic around the airport increased, the need for new roads would also change the landscape.  Of course, the fact that this is Pittsburgh means there were also plans for highways that never came to be.  Two of these never built highway plans, the Beaver Valley Expressway (BVE) extension and the full-speed connection to the Southern Expressway at Flaugherty Run Road have traces - specifically ghost ramps - of highways that never came to be.

Beaver Valley Expressway Extension:

For close to three decades this unused piece of roadway along the southern end of Beaver Valley Expressway puzzled Pittsburgh area travelers.  Located near the current-day maintenance hangers for Pittsburgh International Airport, this concrete stub of a highway was supposed to be …

Quemahoning Tunnel

The Quemahoning Tunnel may have never been built by the Pennsylvanina Turnpike Commission, but it still has a history unto itself.  Originally planned to carry rail along the South Penn Railway, the tunnel never would not see any trains until 1909 when a small line named the Pittsburgh, Westmoreland & Somerset began utilizing it.  The use was brief and by the end of 1916 the PW&S was no longer in operation and abandoned the facility.  Twenty-some years later, the newly formed Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission considered using the abandoned tunnel, in fact it was shown on some original plans.  However, the PTC decided against using it, and the tunnel remained empty.

The eastern portal of the Quemahoning Tunnel is easily accessible from the PA Turnpike.  The portal is located at mile 106.3 along the westbound roadway.  The tunnel is one of the many "What Could Have Been's?" of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  Below, Bill Symons shares photos taken in late Fall of 1986 of …

Former Greater Pittsburgh International Airport Terminal

For just over four decades, the former main terminal of Greater Pittsburgh International Airport was the city's gateway to the world.  Located nearly 20 miles west of Downtown Pittsburgh, the Joseph Hoover designed terminal would see millions of travelers pass through its doors.  Known best for the terrazzo compass in the main lobby, the terminal had many other distinguishing features.  The well landscaped entrance that led up to the curved stepped design of the terminal. Each level of the terminal would extend out further than the other allowing for numerous observation decks.  The most popular observation deck, the "Horizon Room", was located on the fourth floor.


From when it opened in the Summer of 1952 until its closing on September 30, 1992, the terminal would grow from a small regional airport to the main hub for USAir.  The terminal would see numerous expansions and renovations over its 40 years of service.  Expansions in 1959, 1972, and 1980 increased the capac…