Skip to main content

Arlington Green Covered Bridge

The Arlington Green Covered Bridge in Arlington, Vermont is a rather simple bridge and for the most part is the typical red covered bridge you'd find in New England or anywhere else.  However, if you turn off VT 313 and cross over the Batten Kill River through the bridge there's a little more interest.  The Inn on Covered Bridge Green sits just beyond the Arlington Green Bridge.  This historic structure was built in 1792 and was one the home of Norman Rockwell from 1943-1954.  It is now a Bed & Breakfast.

The Inn on Covered Bridge Green - former residence of Norman Rockwell.
The Arlington Green Bridge - which also is known as the Bridge at The Green - crosses the Batten Kill River.  The Town Lattice design bridge was built in 1852.  The bridge is 80 feet in length.  The bridge was heavily damaged during flooding from the remnants of Hurricane Irene in 2011.  It was repaired and re-opened a few months later.

The cable wire you see on both sides of the bridge are to help hold it place during floods.
The bridge, despite the sign in the photo below, is a popular swimming spot and the stone abutments are often used for jumping into the river below. It is also a popular kayak launch and fishing spot. The bridge, due to its easy access, is one of the most popular covered bridges in Vermont and is often photographed.


Bridge Specs(1):
  • Number: 45-02-01
  • Design: Town Lattice
  • Length: 80 feet
  • Built: 1852
  • Crosses: Batten Kill River

Arlington Green Covered Bridge as viewed from Vermont Route 313.
Sources & Links:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roebling Aqueduct

In a quiet and often overlooked corner of Northeastern Pennsylvania, the country's oldest surviving suspension bridge crosses the Delaware River into New York.  The Delaware Aqueduct, designed and built by famed engineer John A. Roebling, has withstood a very colorful history from being an important piece in the region's transportation, to uncertainty during the growth of rail, nearly eight decades of neglect and poor management as a private toll bridge, to finally being restored by the National Park Service and in use as an automobile bridge today.

Construction and Canal Era (1847-1898):
During the 1840's, the Delaware & Hudson Canal was looking at ways to speed up service along its route.  One of the major bottlenecks was where the canal reached the Delaware River.  Since it began operation in 1828, the D&H used a rope ferry to pull traffic along to Canal across the Delaware.  The conflicting traffic of vessels going down the Delaware to Trenton or Philadelphia and…

Quemahoning Tunnel

The Quemahoning Tunnel may have never been built by the Pennsylvanina Turnpike Commission, but it still has a history unto itself.  Originally planned to carry rail along the South Penn Railway, the tunnel never would not see any trains until 1909 when a small line named the Pittsburgh, Westmoreland & Somerset began utilizing it.  The use was brief and by the end of 1916 the PW&S was no longer in operation and abandoned the facility.  Twenty-some years later, the newly formed Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission considered using the abandoned tunnel, in fact it was shown on some original plans.  However, the PTC decided against using it, and the tunnel remained empty.

The eastern portal of the Quemahoning Tunnel is easily accessible from the PA Turnpike.  The portal is located at mile 106.3 along the westbound roadway.  The tunnel is one of the many "What Could Have Been's?" of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  Below, Bill Symons shares photos taken in late Fall of 1986 of …

The National Road - Maryland - Jug Bridge Memorial Park

For over 130 years, from 1808 to 1942, a very unique stone arch bridge carried everything from horse and buggy, Civil War troops, and finally automobiles over the Monocacy River just east of Frederick.  The bridge's most unique feature, and what would give the bridge its name, was the jug shaped stone demijohn on the east banks of the Monocacy.  The bridge was built in 1808 during the construction of the Baltimore-Frederick Turnpike - a precursor to the National Road and eventually US 40.   In 1824, the Marquis de LaFayette was greeted by Fredericktonians at the bridge upon his return to the area.  The Jug Bridge would see action in the Civil War during the Battle of Monocacy in July 1864.  At the time of battle, the bridge was under Union control and was attacked by Confederate troops hoping to move closer to Washington as a way to divert some of Ulysses S. Grant's troops from the Petersburg campaign. (1)

The bridge 425 foot long bridge consisted of four 65 foot stone arch s…