Skip to main content

Moving an Old Church

While seeing such things as manufactured homes and wind power turbines may be a common sight on the highways and byways, seeing an old, historic New England church being moved on a road would probably cause you to do a double take. After all, it's not often that you're driving down the road and you see a church moving along on a truck in the opposite direction. A number of years ago, I had received a set of photos from David Slauenwhite that he took back in October 1985 of a church being moved from Orange, Massachusetts to New Salem, Massachusetts. The church was actually moved once before, from the former town of Prescott, Massachusetts as a result of the creation of the Quabbin Reservoir. As you can tell, it was quite the popular church that day, with curious bystanders checking out the church.


According to David Slauenwhite, "The church building had been moved several years earlier when the town of Prescott was disincorporated as part of the Quabbin Reservoir project. The accompanying parsonage was just outside the boundary of land taking and is still in its original place today, a private home in New Salem."

Today, the church is now known as the Prescott Museum and is part of the Swift River Museum located in North New Salem, Massachusetts, a collection of historic buildings and artifacts from the former towns that are now part of the Quabbin Reservoir lands.

Sources:
Swift River Museum: http://swiftrivermuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Newsletter.Autumn-2016.pdf
Swift River Museum: http://swiftrivermuseum.org/?page_id=119

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roebling Aqueduct

In a quiet and often overlooked corner of Northeastern Pennsylvania, the country's oldest surviving suspension bridge crosses the Delaware River into New York.  The Delaware Aqueduct, designed and built by famed engineer John A. Roebling, has withstood a very colorful history from being an important piece in the region's transportation, to uncertainty during the growth of rail, nearly eight decades of neglect and poor management as a private toll bridge, to finally being restored by the National Park Service and in use as an automobile bridge today.

Construction and Canal Era (1847-1898):
During the 1840's, the Delaware & Hudson Canal was looking at ways to speed up service along its route.  One of the major bottlenecks was where the canal reached the Delaware River.  Since it began operation in 1828, the D&H used a rope ferry to pull traffic along to Canal across the Delaware.  The conflicting traffic of vessels going down the Delaware to Trenton or Philadelphia and…

Quemahoning Tunnel

The Quemahoning Tunnel may have never been built by the Pennsylvanina Turnpike Commission, but it still has a history unto itself.  Originally planned to carry rail along the South Penn Railway, the tunnel never would not see any trains until 1909 when a small line named the Pittsburgh, Westmoreland & Somerset began utilizing it.  The use was brief and by the end of 1916 the PW&S was no longer in operation and abandoned the facility.  Twenty-some years later, the newly formed Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission considered using the abandoned tunnel, in fact it was shown on some original plans.  However, the PTC decided against using it, and the tunnel remained empty.

The eastern portal of the Quemahoning Tunnel is easily accessible from the PA Turnpike.  The portal is located at mile 106.3 along the westbound roadway.  The tunnel is one of the many "What Could Have Been's?" of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  Below, Bill Symons shares photos taken in late Fall of 1986 of …

The National Road - Maryland - Jug Bridge Memorial Park

For over 130 years, from 1808 to 1942, a very unique stone arch bridge carried everything from horse and buggy, Civil War troops, and finally automobiles over the Monocacy River just east of Frederick.  The bridge's most unique feature, and what would give the bridge its name, was the jug shaped stone demijohn on the east banks of the Monocacy.  The bridge was built in 1808 during the construction of the Baltimore-Frederick Turnpike - a precursor to the National Road and eventually US 40.   In 1824, the Marquis de LaFayette was greeted by Fredericktonians at the bridge upon his return to the area.  The Jug Bridge would see action in the Civil War during the Battle of Monocacy in July 1864.  At the time of battle, the bridge was under Union control and was attacked by Confederate troops hoping to move closer to Washington as a way to divert some of Ulysses S. Grant's troops from the Petersburg campaign. (1)

The bridge 425 foot long bridge consisted of four 65 foot stone arch s…