Skip to main content

Eagleville Covered Bridge

Typically when you have a feature of a covered bridge, the first photo is of the bridge itself in a rather scenic setting - possibly one Bob Ross would paint. Editors Note: He didBut for the Eagleville Bridge in Washington County, New York - I've decided to lead with a photo of two kids jumping from the bridge into the Batten Kill below.  For decades, the bridge has been a popular spot in the summer to cool down.  It wasn't until a rehabilitation project of the Eagleville Bridge in 2007 that the door was closed - and the bridge jumping ceased. 

Once a common summer site at the Eagleville Covered Bridge, kids waiting there turn to plunge into the Batten Kill River.
The Eagleville Bridge has crossed the Batten Kill River in Washington County since 1858.  The bridge incorporates a town lattice design and has a length of 101 feet.  The bridge is one of four remaining bridges in the county.

In March of 1977, the bridge was nearly destroyed from flooding along the Batten Kill.  The flood caused the east abutment to collapse causing the bridge to collapse into the river. The structure withstood major damage and was returned to service. The following year the bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.  In 2007, the bridge underwent an expansive renovation that included the removal of the inspection door that allowed numerous kids of all ages to take a plunge into the river for years. (1)

Eagleville Covered Bridge closed for rehabilitation (Doug Kerr - May 2007)
The rehabilitated Eagleville Bridge in December 2007. (Doug Kerr)

Although jumping from the bridge is no longer possible, there are other means to take a plunge into the Batten Kill.
Bridge Specs(2)
  • Number: 32-58-01
  • Design: Town Lattice
  • Length: 100 feet
  • Built: 1858
  • Crosses: Batten Kill River
Sources:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quemahoning Tunnel

The Quemahoning Tunnel may have never been built by the Pennsylvanina Turnpike Commission, but it still has a history unto itself.  Originally planned to carry rail along the South Penn Railway, the tunnel never would not see any trains until 1909 when a small line named the Pittsburgh, Westmoreland & Somerset began utilizing it.  The use was brief and by the end of 1916 the PW&S was no longer in operation and abandoned the facility.  Twenty-some years later, the newly formed Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission considered using the abandoned tunnel, in fact it was shown on some original plans.  However, the PTC decided against using it, and the tunnel remained empty.

The eastern portal of the Quemahoning Tunnel is easily accessible from the PA Turnpike.  The portal is located at mile 106.3 along the westbound roadway.  The tunnel is one of the many "What Could Have Been's?" of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  Below, Bill Symons shares photos taken in late Fall of 1986 of …

Former Greater Pittsburgh International Airport Terminal

For just over four decades, the former main terminal of Greater Pittsburgh International Airport was the city's gateway to the world.  Located nearly 20 miles west of Downtown Pittsburgh, the Joseph Hoover designed terminal would see millions of travelers pass through its doors.  Known best for the terrazzo compass in the main lobby, the terminal had many other distinguishing features.  The well landscaped entrance that led up to the curved stepped design of the terminal. Each level of the terminal would extend out further than the other allowing for numerous observation decks.  The most popular observation deck, the "Horizon Room", was located on the fourth floor.


From when it opened in the Summer of 1952 until its closing on September 30, 1992, the terminal would grow from a small regional airport to the main hub for USAir.  The terminal would see numerous expansions and renovations over its 40 years of service.  Expansions in 1959, 1972, and 1980 increased the capac…

Roebling Aqueduct

In a quiet and often overlooked corner of Northeastern Pennsylvania, the country's oldest surviving suspension bridge crosses the Delaware River into New York.  The Delaware Aqueduct, designed and built by famed engineer John A. Roebling, has withstood a very colorful history from being an important piece in the region's transportation, to uncertainty during the growth of rail, nearly eight decades of neglect and poor management as a private toll bridge, to finally being restored by the National Park Service and in use as an automobile bridge today.

Construction and Canal Era (1847-1898):
During the 1840's, the Delaware & Hudson Canal was looking at ways to speed up service along its route.  One of the major bottlenecks was where the canal reached the Delaware River.  Since it began operation in 1828, the D&H used a rope ferry to pull traffic along to Canal across the Delaware.  The conflicting traffic of vessels going down the Delaware to Trenton or Philadelphia and…