Skip to main content

A look at Pittsburgh's Saw Mill Run Boulevard

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - Pennsylvania State Route 51 - runs through the narrow Saw Mill Run Valley.  It begins at the intersection of Clairton Road and Provost Road at the City of Pittsburgh Line with Brentwood.  It ends at the West End Circle at the entrance to the West End Bridge.  A four lane highway for its the entire length, Saw Mill Run Boulevard consists of interchanges at the South Portal of the Liberty Tubes and with the Parkway West.  It is an expressway from the Parkway to the West End Circle (West End Bypass).  One of the most well known traffic tie-ups in the Pittsburgh area occurs between Maytide Street and PA 88 (Library Road) which is simply known as 'Maytide and 88.'

History:
Saw Mill Run Boulevard was part of the 1928 Allegheny County 'City Beautiful' bond issue.  The bonds resulted in the creation of Saw Mill Run, Ohio River, Allegheny River and Mosside Boulevards. (1)   After the completion of the Liberty Tunnels in 1924, Downtown Pittsburgh was officially accessible from the South Hills.   As a result of the new tunnels linking downtown to the South Hills, communities like Dormont, Mt. Lebanon, Brookline and Overbrook grew.  Because of this growth, county and city planners looked for a road way that would "...tie together...eight important throughway and improved roads, (Library Road, Nobles Lane, West Liberty Blvd. or Old Washington Road [now W. Liberty Ave.], Banksville Road, Washington Pike, Noblestown Road, Steubenville Road and Carson Street.)" (2)   The new highway was also considered as a way to bring the cities of McKeesport, Clairton and Duquesne closer to Pittsburgh.  Construction began quickly and half of the roadway, from Library Road (PA 88) to near Knoxville, opened on December 1, 1929. (3)  The roadway from Banksville Road to Knoxville opened in 1930.  Shortly after the boulevard was open completely, local officials wanted to rename it 'Liberty Boulevard.' (4)  This of course did not come to be.

As a result of the new four lane highway's opening, Pittsburgh's South Hills continued to grow. Sleepy Pittsburgh neighborhoods, such as Overbrook, were quickly filled with businesses and traffic along the highway.  Saw Mill Run Boulevard and as Route 51 continued further south was the gateway into Pittsburgh for the South Hills and many Mon Valley industrial towns.  One of Pittsburgh's most beloved restaurants first opened along Saw Mill Run Boulevard.  Eat 'n Park's first location opened at 2209 Saw Mill Run Boulevard in 1949.
 
Banksville Circle and West-End Bypass Under Construction.
(Clyde Hare)
As Pittsburgh's traffic grew, pressure on the Liberty Tunnels continued to mount.  An extension of Saw Mill Run Boulevard to the Ohio River and the West End Bridge was built.  Originally proposed by famed planner, Robert Moses, construction on the Saw Mill Run Extension - better known as the West End Bypass - began in 1949.  The 1.1 mile expressway began at the Banksville Circle and ran to the West End Bridge. (5)  The extension opened in 1951.  The bypass would see an additional northbound lane built in the mid-1990s to accommodate expected increases in traffic during the Ft Pitt Tunnels & Bridge rehabilitation.
 
The Banksville Traffic Circle was eliminated during the construction of the Parkway West in the late 1950s.  The circle was replaced with an interchange between Saw Mill Run Boulevard and the new highway.  Later improvements in the 1990s and 2000s to Saw Mill Run Boulevard included: median barriers from Whited Street to the Parkway; a complete redesign of the Northern terminus of the Boulevard at the West End was completed in 2010; a jughandle turning lane southbound at Woodruff Street and the opening of the Wabash HOV Tunnel in 2004; and a complete rehabilitation of the Library Road (PA 88) intersection that opened in 2016. 

The reconfigured PA 51 and PA 88 intersection. (PENNDOT)
Liberty Tunnel South Portal Interchange and Saw Mill Run Expressway Plans:
Even during the original construction of Saw Mill Run Boulevard, planners designed a complex interchange with the Boulevard, West Liberty Avenue, and the South Portal of the Liberty Tunnels.  Nothing was done and again in 1950s, the state offered up plans for an interchange and a Saw Mill Run Bypass of the bottleneck at the tubes.  The interchange was also to be part of a Saw Mill Run Expressway that would widen the highway to six lanes, have controlled or limited access to side streets, and include various interchanges and connections to other proposed freeways.  By this time, Saw Mill Run Boulevard was known more for its traffic headaches than its accessibility to the South Hills.  From the mid-1950s through the mid-1970s, plans were introduced, changed, opposition and support was voiced, and in the end nothing was done. 

1957 Liberty Tunnel South Portal Interchange Plans.
(Brookline Connection)
It wasn't until the mid 1990s, and the "impending doom" of the closed Fort Pitt Bridge and Tunnels, that talk of an interchange at the South Portal resurfaced.  This time work for a South Portal interchange actually began and was completed.  In 1999, an interchange, a modified single-point diamond, opened to traffic.  Through traffic on Saw Mill Run Boulevard now rode over the intersection that once backed up traffic, sometimes for over a mile.  The new interchange has been received warmly by commuters who no longer have to sit at the ancient traffic lights.
 
Other Proposals:
In the 1930's, Allegheny County attempted to purchase the Wabash Bridge and Tunnel as a way to alleviate traffic with the Liberty Bridge and Tubes.  The move, attempted three times in the decade and spearheaded at times by Downtown Pittsburgh businessmen, failed on each attempt.  One proposal, made in 1936, included an elevated traffic circle interchange that would involve: Saw Mill Run Boulevard, the Wabash Tunnel Highway, and Woodruff Street.  After a 1970s transit proposal known as Skybus went for naught, City of Pittsburgh planners in 1986 considered converting the tunnel to a reversible one-way highway that would connect Saw Mill Run Blvd. to a parking facility at Station Square. (6)  It wasn't again until the 1990s with the fast approaching Fort Pitt Bridge and Tunnel rehabilitation looming that plans began to materialize to covert the tunnel to a legitimate link from Saw Mill Run into town.  However, it wasn't until December 27, 2004 that the tunnel opened to traffic.  The tunnel sits less than 1000' above the intersection of Saw Mill Run Blvd. and Woodruff Street.
 
Commentary:
After being overlooked for decades, improvements are being made along the Saw Mill Run Corridor.  New interchanges at the Liberty Tubes and West End Bridge, a center median reducing crossover crashes, improved intersections at Library Road and Woodruff Street are some of the current or completed projects in the area.  Although not the expressway dreamed of in the 60s, transit options such as a total rebuild of the century old Overbrook Trolley Line, which reopened in 2004, and the 40 year old South Busway have eased some traffic woes.
 
However, Saw Mill Run Boulevard is still a very tight, traffic heavy, and dangerous road.  A completed Saw Mill Run Expressway would have greatly improved traffic in the corridor.  In Charlotte, North Carolina, the Independence (Boulevard) Freeway is a great look at what the Saw Mill Run Expressway could have been.  Part limited access and allowing some business and local road access, the Independence Freeway is a great improvement to residents east of the city.  The six and sometimes eight lane highway, includes an independent bus-lane, interchanges with major roads, and a center median.  The freeway is now being extended another mile and a half and will include a major interchange at Albemarle Road, a similar traffic situation to Maytide and 88.

Sources & Links:



  • (1) Bruce Cridlebaugh




  • (2) Stevenson, William H. "Saw Mill Run Valley Improvements." unknown. May XX, 192x.
  • (3) M'Swigan, Marie. "Mountain of Earth Removed in Course of West End Project." The Pittsburgh Press. October 11, 1929.
  • (4) "Saw Mill Run Meant Something to Washington." Editorial. Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph. August 15, 1930.
  • (5) "Dirt Flying, Trucks Rolling for Saw Mill Run Extension." The Pittsburgh Press. November 27, 1949.
  • (6) Fisher, Ken.  "Old Wabash Tunnel may be unsealed." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. May 31, 1986.
  • Saw Mill Run Boulevard - State Route 51 ---Brookline Connection
  • PA 51 @ PAHighways.com ---Jeff Kitsko
  • Saw Mill Run Expressway @ Pittsburgh Highways ---Jeff Kitsko
  • South Hills Expressway @ Pittsburgh Highways ---Jeff Kitsko
  •  

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Mineral King Road/Mountain Road 375; the unbuilt California State Route 276

    Back in July of 2016 I took Mineral King Road east from California State Route 198 to Mineral King Valley in Sequoia National Park.






    Mineral King Road is a 24.8 mile roadway which travels from the confluence of the Middle Fork and East Fork Kaweah River in modern day Three Rivers to Mineral King Valley.  Mineral King Road has an approximate starting elevation at about 1,000 feet above sea level in Three Rivers and ends at approximately 7,400 feet above sea level in Mineral King Valley in the High Sierras.

    Mineral King Road has an average grade of 5.1% but has stretches between 15-20% in places.  Pjammycycling has a detailed breakdown on the grade levels on the entirety of Mineral King Road.

    Pjammycycling on Mineral King Road

    A large silver claim at the White Chief Mine was struck in Mineral King Valley in 1872.  Previous trails to Mineral King Valley were fleshed out which lead to the creation of Silver City six miles west of Mineral King Valley later in the year. The first Mineral King…

    Ghost Town Tuesday; Millerton, California and the Stockton-Los Angeles Road

    Back in 2016 I visited Millerton Lake in Madera County to view the 1866 Fresno County Court House which was located in Millerton on the Stockton-Los Angeles Road.


    Millerton traces it's origins back to the founding of Fort Miller during the Mariposa War in May of 1851.  Fort Miller was a fortification on the south bank of the San Joaquin River originally designated as Camp Barbour but was renamed in 1852.  The community of Millerton came to grew around Fort Millerton and remained even after said Fort was abandoned in 1858.  In 1856 Fresno County was created from parts of Mariposa County, Merced County, and Tulare County.  Millerton was selected as the original County Seat of Fresno County due to it's ferry location on the Stockton-Los Angeles Road at the San Joaquin River.  Milleton's ferry was located on a narrow canyon above the San Joaquin River which made ferry crossings ideal due to the predictable width of the waters.  Later ferries such as Firebaugh's Ferry to th…

    California State Route 1 in Big Sur; the Mud Creek Slide reopens

    During the rainy season of 2017 the Big Sur Area received more than 60 inches of rain which led to various notable landslide closures such as the condemning of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge and Paul's Slide.  The largest landslide ever along California State Route 1 in the Big Sur Region occurred on May 20th of 2017 near Mud Creek.  The Mud Creek Slide blocked an approximately quarter mile section of CA 1 as it dumped eight million tons of dirt onto the highway and ocean below.  CA 1 was buried up to 80 feet in places drawing into question the viability of even reopening the highway through Big Sur.

    Caltrans eventually decided to reopen CA 1 over the Mud Creek Slide rather than clearing it.  Originally the Mud Creek Slide was supposed to be reopened in October of 2018 but work progressed ahead of schedule.  The Mud Creek Slide was reopened to CA 1 traffic as of July 18th.  Given that I had tracking the progress of all the slide reopenings along CA 1 since Spring of 2017 I made my way…