Skip to main content

Trip to Vroman's Nose and Gilboa, NY

This past Saturday (10/6), I started my vacation by going hiking at Vroman's Nose in Middleburgh, NY and also exploring some backroads I haven't been down.

I started the trip on I-90 to I-88 and got off at the NY 30A interchange (exit 23) . I backtracked up NY 7 a little bit and headed south on NY 30 to take some shots of I-88 from the NY 30 overpass. (I commented on this view in one of my first entries). The views didn't disappoint this nearly perfect autumn day!


I took a few photos along NY 30 and the Schoharie Covered Bridge. There was a History Fair at the old fort, and the ticket gate was at the end of the bridge. I would have loved to stopped but I really wanted to hike the nose. Speaking of the nose, here it is...

Vroman's Nose is just outside of Middleburgh and less than a mile south of the NY 30/145 crossroads. The nose was formed by the Wisconsin Glaciers over 25,000 years ago. Signs along NY 30 easily point you down a side road to the trail access. Also, there is a nearly 25 year old (posted 9/82) NY 30 shield on this side road at the intersection. (Yes, I got a photo of that.) The Vroman's Nose loop consists of three trails, Green, Blue, and Yellow. The total hike is about 1.5 miles and is relatively easy with the exception as you approach the pinnacle. Vroman's Nose is named after Dutch Settler, Adam Vroman, who settled in the area in the early 1700s. Today, the ninth generation of Vroman's still live closeby.

Vroman's Nose towers nearly 700' over the vast Schoharie Creek Valley and NY 30. With a good zoom lens you are able to get some great shots of the farmland below.

Doug Kerr's been to Vroman's Nose once before..maybe more...and he's got some more photos here. I took a great plenty of shots and one of these days, I'll have it up on my homepage.

Next, I headed down NY 30 in hope to see Mine Kill Falls but the park was closed. But I did stop and got a few shots of NY 30 and also explored the town of Breakabeen. They have a nice general store there.

From Breakabeen, I continued south to NY 990V (which is posted btw) and then headed east towards the town of Gilboa. Much to my surprise was a tied-arch bridge carrying NY 990V over the Schoharie.

From there I headed east on 990V, Schoharie County 3, Albany County 35, NY 145, NY 23, NY 32, NY 81, US 9W, I-87, I-787, I-90 to home. I took around 100 photos on Saturday. And at the rate I'm going, you may get to see them next year.

Comments

Nina Mateyunas said…
Love your photography of valley below Vroman's Nose! I'm a plein air painter living in Gilboa, a few miles away and my husband and I hiked it for the first time last weekend. What a nice climb! The view from the peak (the dance floor) is awesome! Thanks for this post!
airpleinblog.blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 152

Circumstance had me out in the Monterey Peninsula again this week.  Generally I try to take a route like California State Route 198 or ever County Route J1 to get across the Diablo Range but time had me in a slight bind.  That being the case I took the popular way across the Diablos on California State Route 152 via Pacheco Pass.  152 is one of infamy given it is really the primary route for truckers to get from I-5 west in San Joaquin Valley to US 101 in Salinas Valley.  After zig-zagging some accidents on/off California State Route 99 near Madera in the rural outskirts of the County bearing the same name I began my westbound trek on 152.




CA 152 is called the William Whitehurst Highway, at least it is west from CA 99.  The entire route of CA 152 in San Joaquin is an expressway aside from a small portion in the city of Los Banos.



The first junction on CA 152 is with CA 233 which is a small 4 mile highway that travels northeast to CA 99.






Next westbound CA 152 encounters the junction w…

The National Road - Ohio - Muskingum and Licking Counties

As it travels from Zanesville towards Columbus, US 40 goes through numerous small towns, changes from two to four lanes and back numerous times, but most importantly the old road keeps its rural charm.  Between Zanesville and Gratiot, there are four former alignments of the old road that can be found: just west of Zanesville, Mt. Sterling, Hopewell and Gratiot.  Most stretches are very short and can be easily recognized with names as "Old US 40", "Old National Road" or some combination of the two.

Zanesville:
Just west of US 40's interchange with Interstate 70 (Exit 152) runs an old alignment.

Mt. Sterling:
Another old alignment goes through this small Muskingum County village.
Hopewell:
Today, US 40 passes south of the community of Hopewell.  The old two lane road is known as Hopewell National Road.
Gratiot:
Old US 40 is known as Main Street in this tiny village of 200 or so residents.  The old highway at times seems forgotten through here.
Just west of Gratiot, US 40 …

Throwback Thursday - October 12, 2017

In this week's edition of Throwback Thursday, we travel back to December 2003 to the southern end of Interstate 99 in Bedford, Pennsylvania, where we can see button copy guide signage for US 30 and US 220 (US 220 runs concurrent with I-99 through this part of the Keystone State). Since I-99 was relatively new at the time, it feels like it was an afterthought.