So sit back and relax as you travel abandoned roadways, stop at an original service plaza, view vintage photos, or get some religion turnpike style. Even if you don't live in Pennsylvania or travel the turnpike you can complete your virtual journey on America's First Super Highway!
Abandoned Turnpike: The nearly 13 miles of road in South Central Pennsylvania attracts curiosity seekers of all types.
- Breezewood in the Fall - The Abandoned PA Turnpike - In 1999, this series of photos from Bernie Newman introduced many to the old road.
- Return to the Abandoned Turnpike (2004) - In 2004, Jeff Kitsko hosted a road enthusiasts meet focusing on the abandoned Turnpike. I was fortunate to attend.
- The Abandoned Tunnels of the PA Turnpike in the early 1980s - In 1981/82, Bill Symons explored the three abandoned PA Turnpike tunnels with many artifacts still in place.
- The Pike2Bike Trail - After 16 years, why is there no activity? - Article explaining how and why there has not been much activity converting the Abandoned Turnpike to the planned multi-use trail.
- 1950s Vintage PA Turnpike Postcards - Linen postcards from the 1950s from my own personal collection.
- Bill Symons PA Turnpike Postcard Collection - Over 60 postcards from Bill Symons personal Turnpike postcard collection over four parts.
- The Church on the Turnpike - St. John the Baptist Catholic Church has been a stopping point for travelers for decades.
- Midway Service Plazas - Still the flagship location for Turnpike service plazas to this day.
- Aerial Photos of Breezewood - What may be the most unique, talked about, and controversial piece of the Turnpike is Breezewood. Check out how this sleepy rural community evolved as the Interstate Highway System grew.
- Lehigh Tunnel Twin Tubing Construction 1989-1991 - Check out how the last of the Turnpike's two lane tunnels were twinned in the early 1990s.
- Abandoned New Stanton Interchange Ramps - Out of service for over 50 years, there are still remnants of this original PA Turnpike Interchange around.
- Quemahoning Tunnel - The PTC decided not to use this old South Penn Tunnel but you can find one of its entrances not far from the existing Turnpike.